Amazon’s best-selling automotive productsSeptember 17, 2021
Because of its market penetration and captive customer base, Amazon is the elephant in the room when selling auto parts online. What distinguishes Amazon for those of us in the parts and accessories industry is its auto parts finder. It is effective when combined with the ability to add fitment data to your listings. Think ACES and PIES if you’re not sure what we mean. In addition to listings that use color variants and customization fields, your customers will have an unrivaled way to find the auto parts by the vehicle they require in no time, leaving eBay Motors in the dust. Here are tips for selling automotive products on Amazon.
Discover Amazon’s Top 3 Best-Selling automotive products
After deciding to list your auto parts on Amazon, the next step is to identify the best-selling auto parts and accessories on the Amazon Marketplace to maximize sales. Obviously, the best place to start is to look at the broad range of categories available to Amazon automotive parts and accessories sellers. After removing specialized niches that typically attract a small audience (such as the RV Parts and Commercial Equipment categories) as well as vehicle-specific categories such as Replacement and Performance Parts, we are left with three major categories:
- Car Exterior Accessories
- Automobile Interior Accessories
- Car Lighting and LED
Exterior Car Accessories
This category will include upgrades such as billet grilles, chrome trim, nerf bars, tonneau covers, front lip/side skirt lip kits, and wind deflectors. Aftermarket accessories sold by companies such as Lund, Putco, American Car Craft, and MGP Caliper Covers are the best sellers in this category.
Car Interior Additions
Did you know that Amazon has a page dedicated to the best-selling interior automotive accessories? It’s true, and it’s spectacular! Floor mats, shifter knobs, dash kits, window tints, seat covers, and universal interior molding trim are just a few of the items available in this category. In addition to these well-known items such as gel-enhanced seat cushions, garbage cans, and seatback organizers. WeatherTech, Rvinyl, Lexxen, and Spec-D are among the notable brands.
LED Lighting & Products for Automobiles
LED replacements are most likely the most popular single item type among all auto parts and accessories sold on Amazon. There are too many bands to list, but replacement headlights for upgrades such as halo lights, projectors, and HIDs are also popular.
Spyder Auto and Oracle are two brands to keep an eye on in this space.
You can use LED lights for various purposes, including running board lights, taillights, brake lights, turn signal lights, headlights, instrument cluster and gauge lights, license plate lights, trunk lights, side marker lights, and more.
Other Automobile Divisions
The beauty of these categories is their simplicity: you don’t need incredibly detailed fitment data to participate. You only need YMM (year, make, and model) to start listing thousands of hot selling items. This makes it simple for the average consumer to purchase, which is why some of these auto parts and accessories are so popular.
Aside from these three categories of automotive parts, there is also a lot of demand for parts in the following categories:
- Air Filters
- Battery Accessories (chargers, jump batteries)
- Decals, stickers, and Replacement Emblems (mostly replacements)
- Car tires and rims
- Performance Chips and Programmers
- Shocks and Struts
- Car Covers
Although none of the above categories are as popular as the automotive exterior, interior, and lighting accessories categories, they still have a high demand and offer a great opportunity to increase auto parts and accessory sales.
Best Practices for Selling Automotive Products and Accessories on Amazon
If you do a quick search on Amazon for the term “auto accessories,” the results will tell you everything you need to know about marketing and selling automotive exterior, interior, and LED accessories and products.
The following best practices will put you ahead of the competition and ensure that you get your piece of the Amazon auto accessories pie.
How to Sell Automotive Products and Accessories Faster on Amazon
- Advertised Listings: When you search for anything on Amazon, the sponsored listings are the first thing you’ll notice. This should not only alert you to the fact that you should consider using this feature, but it should also provide you with an idea of what types of products perform best on Amazon. But, again, because these are pay-per-click, you only pay for what people click on.
- Pricing: This applies whether or not you sponsor your products; however, if you price your products competitively, you have a better chance of converting that click. Amazon customers aren’t as price-sensitive as eBay customers, but the A9 algorithm prioritizes prices.
- Inventory: If you do not have enough inventory on hand or a part is out of stock, you may remove your listing. If you have to cancel any orders due to this, your metrics will suffer as well.
- Text Pertinence: Everything from the product title to the bulleted description and product copy is included. You should conduct keyword research to ensure that you are getting the most bang for your buck.
- Product Images of High Quality: You will be rewarded in the search by including high-quality, zoomable images of your product. Amazon recommends that images “be 1,000 pixels or larger in either height or width, as this will enable the website’s zoom function” (zoom has proven to enhance sales). Your file should be no smaller than 500 pixels on the longest side.” Watermarks and text, on the other hand, are prohibited by policy.
- Using the Correct Categories: Use the correct categories for your Amazon auto parts to reduce buyer confusion and increase sales.
- Use Enhanced Brand Content: If you have your own brand, you can modify the description fields of your products so that you can tell your story instead of just a description.
This allows you to improve images and texts and add unique design elements to your descriptions.
Other factors to consider include having a generous return policy and offering low-cost or free shipping.
However, keep in mind that unless you submit manual exemption requests. You can send a spreadsheet with 1000 SKUs at a time. All returns are automated and use Amazon prepaid labels billed to you.
How to Make the Most of Amazon Automotive Products
Now that you know what to do to make sure your Amazon auto parts sell. You should take a quick look at whether it makes sense for you, in particular, to be selling any of these parts or accessories on Amazon at all.
As discussed in a previous article about the benefits of selling auto parts on Amazon. The marketplace may not be the best fit for every brand, product mix, and/or seller. Therefore, before listing your entire catalog on Amazon, you should think about the following points in particular:
Do you have the resources to ensure compliance with Amazon’s ever-changing listing and product policies?
If not, you may not want to rely on any Amazon income you generate. Amazon has no qualms about suspending sellers to protect their brand and customer trust.
Are you solely a drop-shipper?
Amazon is probably not the place for you because you can’t control fulfillment times if this is the case. You will almost certainly face a suspension for policy violations and shipment times.
Other factors to consider include the challenges of managing sponsored listing campaigns and roadblocks to other features.
For example, Enhanced Brand Pages have been shown to increase conversion across all products by up to 45 percent. Unfortunately, they will not be available to those who do not have our own private label brand. In the end, however, failing to use sponsored listings or enhanced product pages. They do not have to spell the end of your attempts to sell auto parts on Amazon.
In reality, if you cover the fundamentals of pricing, inventory, copy, and product photos. You’ll find yourself making more money than you ever imagined possible. Let us know what auto parts and accessories are top sellers for you in the comments section below. We’d love to see if you sell many other products that aren’t on our list.